Today's Update: Taylor had her first season of Soccer. Her coach, Coach Alex, was awesome. He has 4 kids, 1 Taylor's age, and the little girl is in Taylor's kindergarden class. He was super patient and really pushed the kids to play soccer and have fun.
If you've never been to a 5 year old soccer game, it's awesome. A huge pile of kids surrounding a ball, then the ball pops out and the melee chases it down. It's great fun and really excellent to see the competition and fun the kids have. I really look forward to next year.
I have to write about this so I don't forget. Final game of the Season, Taylor's team had lost 1 or 2 games all season, her team was 2nd in her age group. We're facing the one team that beat us earlier in the season, and they were undefeated. Taylor wanted to win SOOoooo bad, and she played an amazing game. In 1 quarter, she broke past 3 defenders *3* times to get open 1v1 shots on the goal. The other team's goalie was impressive and stopped all 3, but watching Taylor weave through them like it was nothing was such a cool moment.
Taylor also played a quarter in the goalie box, and she had 2 amazing saves, including one where the ball got past her and she crawled on hands and knees and stopped it from going in. Then, later on, she thought play had stopped, and it hadn't. She turned around as the ball passed her and the other team got the go ahead goal. She was SO sad, it was one of those "Thrill of Victory, Agony of Defeat" moments, like you'd see on the cover of a sports magazine. She cried and I was proud and sad for her at the same time. After the game, like 2 of the other team parents came over and congratulated her on an amazing game.
At the end of the season dinner, Taylor was the last kid to get her award, and I remember what Coach Alex said. "When you coach, there are lots of good times, but sometimes a player comes who reminds you why you coach, and makes it all worthwhile. In the final game, that was Taylor. Thank you Taylor"
It was so cool, I love soccer!
No comments:
Post a Comment